On April 29, 2020, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis announced Phase 1 of his “Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step.” Plan to Re-Open Florida. Most non-essential businesses will be permitted to re-open starting on Monday, May 4 in every county except Dade, Palm Beach, and Broward, where most of the COVID-19 cases in the state have been reported.
Under this Order, restaurants and retail stores will be permitted to open in a limited capacity, while bars, night clubs, gyms, and salons are not yet permitted to open. Many Florida beaches are already open.
Phase 1 also includes the following:
- Schools remain distance learning.
- Visits to senior living facilities are prohibited.
- Elective surgeries can resume.
- Restaurants may offer outdoor seating with six feet between tables and indoor seating at 25% capacity.
- Retail can operate at 25% of indoor capacity.
- No change for bars, gyms, and personal services such as hair salons.
- Vulnerable individuals should avoid close contact with people outside the home.
- All individuals, when in public, should maximize physical distance from others.
- Avoid socializing in groups of more than 10 people in circumstances that do not readily allow for physical distancing.
- Face masks are recommended for all those in face-to-face interactions and where you can’t social distance.